03/04/2017 0 Comments
How Metal Bending Makes Your Project Possible
What Is Metal Bending?
A type of metal fabrication, metal bending is the process by which metals are bent to produce a new shape out of the metal being used. The most commonly used material in bending is sheet metal. Bending the metal changes the shape of the sheet without affecting its original volume or thickness.
How It Works
The most common means of bending metal is with a brake press machine. This machine uses a punch and die to force the metal into shape. The punch pushes the metal down while the die determines the shape that the final product will take. The final shape of the metal also depends on the type of bending process being used.
Bending tools are usually specific to the process used and the shape of the desired end product. But sometimes a single piece of metal will have to be bent a number of times, using a number of bend processes, in order to achieve the required result.
- Air bending. This process uses a punch to force metal into either a V-shape or U-shape.
- Bottoming. Similar to air bending, bottoming presses the metal into a V-shape.
- Coining. This method uses greater force than air bending but produces much more precise results.
- Elastomer bending. This process uses a urethane or rubber pad, making it perfect for bending sensitive materials that are easily marred.
- Folding. Clamping beams fold the metal sheet around a bend profile to create the desired bend.
- Roll bending. Process used to bend sheet metal into curved or cylindrical shapes.
- Rotary bending. It requires a rotating cylinder to gently roll the sheet of metal into the desired shape.
Applications For Metal Bending
Bending is used in a staggering number of industries including but not limited to:
- TV and Film Production
- Automotive manufacturing
- Automotive repair
- Chemicals manufacturing
- Consumer goods
- Food and beverage
- HVAC and ductwork
- Metal manufacturing
- Oil refineries
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Shipbuilding and repair
- Transportation and shipping
- Waste management
- And much more
When you need custom metal fabrication services in Mississauga, visit Sheridan Metal Products without delay. We provide metal bending, laser cutting, metal rolling and welding services to residential and commercial clients all over the Mississauga area. Contact us today to receive a quote.